Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Bubble of Bad

There are days I want to remember forever.

Some days make me want to go to sleep just so I'll wake up the next morning and start again. They aren't very frequent, but they happen to me like they happen to everyone, the bad day, the stressful day, the day that makes you want to curl up in bed with a book and take yourself to another land for a while, or eat a whole gallon of chocolate ice cream, or call your mother and be a kid again. Sometimes it feels like those days last forever, too, which really stinks because then it feels like I'm trapped in a bubble of bad, and no one will come around to pop it.

But then there are days like today.

After waking up from a bad dream to see my husband staring at me with the cute smile he only ever shows around me, and after telling him my bad dream and then hearing his reaction, I instantly knew that today was going to rock. Because I want to remember every detail of this Sunday, I'll start there.

Me: "I had a dream last night that we got a dog and it died." =(

Husband: "Well that's good honey. I hate dogs!" =)

My husband instantly popped the bubble of potential bad, like he usually does, and we laughed while I tried to tickle him and then we got into a wrestling match of epic proportions. It involved biting, pillow fights, and threats to strangle my stuffed animals. Oh, and also enormous amounts of tickling from both parties. I told him that I had to pee, early morning and all, during our tickle session and he proceeded to tickle all the harder and poke my tummy. For anyone involved in a wrestle/tickle fest with your significant other in the future, I recommend not revealing that you have to pee. Too much ammunition is given over to the other fighter in the process, and it's so not worth the trouble.

So yes, this is the type of day that I wished could last forever. Just a day where we're both together, and playful, and armed with some pretty hefty pillows. I think at one point during our most recent pillow fight, I just sort of stopped and let him whack me with the pillow a few times, just so that I could take it all in and store the moment in my memory for as long as possible. Sometimes, you just gotta pause and let the life you're living wash over you. Smell the roses, feel the pillow connect with your head, same difference really. Thinking about the future sometimes overwhelms me, and I think so in depth about so much that isn't even gonna happen for another six months. But on days like today, my mind stops whirling into the future and basks in the glow of the present, and all is right in the world.

Now, I'm gonna go eat a chocolate chip cookie and squeeze the stuffing out of my husband.

'Cuz that's how we show affection. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment