Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bills are Diseased Mosquitos

It's sometimes weird to think that I'm an adult right now.

When I think back to my childhood, what comes to mind isn't even remotely adult-like. I think of all the blanket forts my friends and I created and how they always seemed to fall on our heads while we were in them - not the best shelter maker out there, no sirree. I think of all the times my poppy gave me my three dollar allowance each week and I'd rush to the Dollar Store and buy three exciting yet pretty useless toys (toy handcuffs, some sticker books, maybe a coloring book or some off-brand silly putty). Not the best money saver either, no sirree. Then I recall all those stuffed animals I used to saturate my bedroom, living room, bathroom, and well, pretty much every room in my house. I had beanie babies coming out my ears, and let's not get started on those annoying furry creatures that never stopped talking (what were they called? Furbies?). Mine never used to fall asleep until I got frustrated and yanked the batteries out of their backsides - not the most patient of parents, I reckon. But I will say that when I found my favorite stuffed animal, I sure did stick with him. All the other little unliving creatures I hung out with have long since been given to younger family members or thrown away while my back was turned (thanks Momma), but good old Blue still sleeps with me at night. I got Blue when I was eleven years old one Christmas morning and we've not parted since. He's a blue stuffed unicorn, and I used to make friends wash their hands before they touched him. Heck, I don't think I even let them touch him with freshly washed hands half the time.

Now my husband likes to hang Blue by the neck on our ceiling fan while I'm otherwise occupied. We end up wrestling for a few minutes, wherein I threaten to splash him with cold water while he's sleeping if he ever does it again (because we all know that when he's sleeping is the only time I'd ever manage to splash him successfully - why's he gotta be so strong anyway?).

So yeah, childhood wasn't that long ago for me, and so it's weird to think that now I'm paying bills on time and following my credit score like a diligent little nerd and traveling to exotic places (i.e. the Grand Canyon) with my husband. My momma raised me well, she did, especially when it comes to finances, and I know all these awesome tricks to a successful credit score and, ultimately, to a successful life. When I was a teenager, I remember thinking all the time, "Why do all these adults make paying bills sound so difficult? It's no rocket science - you earn the money, you pay the bills." And that's pretty much how it's been so far. Paying bills is probably the easiest thing I've ever done - and also probably the thing that makes the most sense to me. I've juggled our bills so that we're paying nearly the same amount toward them each paycheck, so yay balance! Unfortunately, some wonky things have been happening to my husband's student loan account, and they randomly approved us for a forbearance that we never wanted. We've been paying it manually so that we could still pay on it every month and just ignore that whole weird forbearance thing, you see.

I seem to have accidentally paid his student loan twice this month as a result.

It's all good because I just juggled money around a bit more, but still. Paying that bill twice in one month even though we don't even have to pay on it at all until December irked me, like a pesky mosquito flying around the house poking me with its disease-riddled mouth every now and again (do mosquitoes even have mouths?). Ah, the joys of being an adult with diseased bills!

In related news, I haven't done anything arghh worthy yet this week, so we're looking good!


No comments:

Post a Comment